May 2018
Queensland Sporting Hovercraft Club
AUSTRALIAN HOVERCRAFT FEDERATION Inc (Qld Branch)

Dear Air Cushion Vehicle enthusiast,
The Queensland branch of The Australian Hovercraft Federation held a planning meeting on Tuesday, 15th May 2018, at the Coopers Plains Library in Orange Grove Road.
This meeting was attended by:-

President:- Ben Woodhead
Vice President:- Kim Allen
Secretary:- Steven Odgaard
Publicity Officer:- Steve Stephens

Other members attending were Michael Stephenson, Dieter Renisch, Angus Kerr, Dwayne Morgan, Larry Franks, Bill Toppin, and Les Taylor.

Apologies: Phillip Audsley, Arthur Stead and Peter Venn.

Cruise report - Kirkleagh, Lake Somerset - Saturday 12th - Sunday 13th May 2018.

The last club cruise was was a camping weekend on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th May 2018, launching from the Kirkleagh camping area on Lake Somerset.

Those attending the cruise with craft were:-

Larry Franks Universal UH18-SPW - The Norm.
Ben Woodhead Turbo XP 960
Les Taylor Turbo 235 Superwedge / Yamaha PE 485 - Phoenix.
Steven Odgaard Universal UH18 - Static Display - Sea Eagle

Larry Franks cruised around in the Norm, such a normal thing to do, but Neil Budworth was the star of the camping weekend showing just how easy it is to fill the belly with just 4 dilly nets full of red claw crayfish. He used the other normal way of getting around on the surface of the water - a mate's tinnie. Said tinnie was the President's safety boat. Ben Woodhead had it supported on a few planks of wood over the top of his hovercraft towed behind the family campervan. The Presidential hovercraft was a Turbo XP 960. Narelle Woodhead was the second shining star foregoing a relaxing time at home being showered in presents for Mother's day; to be off with the boys and their toys at a club do somewhere west of the Big Smoke.

Chilly at night, just 7 deg C, young Allen Rau was warm as toast in his sleeping bag and doona on the empty hovercraft trailer coupled to the back of Les Taylor's camper ute. Les had the Phoenix parked on the grassy foreshore near the southern boat ramp. Only 2 craft at 5:00 pm seemed a little disappointing, but Steven Odgaard arrived at 5:20 pm with another Universal showpiece. It provided Steven with shelter for the night and saved him the inconvenience of having to erect a tent. The westerly blew through the night and everyone huddled around the camp fire and exchanged their views on the taste of crayfish compared to salty prawns, to Owls and possums, to the aboriginal names for the dark clouds in the bright milky way. Libby gave the sermon as Sunday approached, but all retired to a warm bed, long before midnight.


Universal UH18F

Dieter Renisch

Phoenix

xxxx

The warm sun's rays pierced through the tree-line at 6:20 am The billy seemed to rumble continuously over the old Coleman flame, and breakfast was done by a lazy 9:00 am. Neil was out in the Turbo XP 960 with Libby and later collected the dilly nets with another successful catch. Les Taylor and Allen Rau set off in the Phoenix following Ben Woodhead and son's Gowan and Callum. They ventured south to the Seventh Day Adventist camping area on the eastern shoreline, and as they returned and started to pack up, along came Dieter Renisch and Bill Toppin. Dieter found our camping spot and homed in on the UH18F with its triple rudder, big elevator and 8 foot wire propeller cage.

Bill Toppin unfortunately was looking to the north and east but missed us completely. Steven was the last to leave, deciding to take a warm shower then stayed for lunch and enjoyed a pork chop and stewed apple on the electric barbecue just to the left of the camping ground entrance gate. At $18 to enter, young Bill would have had to cover a lot of criss-crossing roadway by foot in order to find even one large hovercraft. 3 incoming phone calls showed "No caller ID". Better luck next time Trooper Bill.

We had 4 hovercraftraft - 2 Universals and 2 Turbos plus 1 safety boat for this cruise.
In attendance were: Ben, Narelle, Gowan and Calum Woodhead, Neil Budworth, Les and Libby Taylor, Allen Rau, Larry Franks, Dieter Renisch, Bill Toppin and Steven Odgaard. Total of 12 people.

Growth and Fund-raising Committee:

Other Local Business:
Courtesy letters regarding Marine Park Permits from QPWS to various members. The letter seeks cooperation for the Parks and Wildlife Service to ensure its objective of providing a balance between human needs and the Bay's special environmental values and signed by Richard Orchard, the senior ranger Moreton Bay Marine Park. Members are encouraged to fill in the forms and return to NPSR (new name: Dept of Environment and Science) as soon as possible, to avoid further complications and cost.

Interstate News:
Possible National Rally options.
Les Taylor suggested somewhere in mid NSW to balance travelling distances.
Peter Streader suggested Lake Cargelligo west of Parkes.
HCSA expressed interest in holding a national rally either on the Murray River in SA or somewhere in Victoria but close to the SA border.

AHF AGM Wednesday 30th May 2018 - 8:00 pm EST.

AHF now requires $20M public liability insurance to use the Jan Wilson Community Centre, Halton Road at Noble Park.
Council: Greater Dandenong City Council. Vic branch requires either situation: The Pavilion North Shore Road Lake Narracan for Latrobe City Council, or a Certificate of Currency noting LCC as landlord.

Qld needs $20M public liability to apply for club rally applications ie State Rally July 18 and a certificate of currency noting Sunwater Qld as landlord

Annual General Meeting:-
The Club AGM was held following the regular monthly meeting.
All positions were declared vacant and the election of office bearers proceeded as follows:-
Angus Kerr provided 6 nomination forms.
Nominations were also called from the floor for position for QSH club secretary.
Dwayne agreed but postponed at the 11th hour due to his work situation after completing a contract with the Commonwealth Games.
Michael Stephenson declined. Cle Sheck declined. Kim Allen declined.
No other nominations from the floor.
Secretary position left adjourned. Steve Odgaard to continue until July if necessary. Steve will complete applications for the State Rally at Lake Coolmunda If an Aquatic Event Permit is granted by MSQ and if BJS issue a Certificate of Currency with Sunwater noted as landlord for 6th July to 9th July 2018.

President - Ben Woodhead moved by Kim Allen seconded by Angus Kerr
Vice President - Kim Allen moved by Angus Kerr seconded by Ben Woodhead
Treasurer - Phil Audsley moved by Peter Venn seconded by Kim Allen
Secretary - No Nominations Steve Odgaard to continue until July if necessary.
Publicity Officer - Steve Stephens moved by Ben Woodhead seconded by Kim Allen
 
AHF state delegates - Ben Woodhead moved by Les Taylor seconded by Angus Kerr
- Les Taylor moved by Angus Kerr seconded by Ben Woodhead
- Karl Bowman moved by Ben Woodhead seconded by Peter Venn

Kim volunteered to take over the roll of Web Master if Arthur Stead is unable to continue due to illness.
Training would be required.

Queensland State Rally:
The next Queensland State Rally will be held at Lake Coolmunda over the 4 days: 6th to 9th of July 2018. Powered sites at the caravan park can be secured by phoning Troy or Idalia on 07 4652 4171 or 0418 665692. There will also be plenty of unpowered sites near the waters edge. Quiet generators are ok during daylight hours.
The lake has proven to be one of the most suitable hovercrafting destinations in Australia, as confirmed by the successful "Sam Waugh Memorial AHF National Rally 2017".

Next club cruise:-
The next club cruise will be held on Sunday 10th June 2018 at Muriel St, Redland Bay.
Meet at 9:00 am at 96 Muriel St, Redland Bay for a launch into the Redland Bay Channel and a cruise up the Logan River to "Fitzy's" (Waterford) Pub. A boat ramp is 100 metres from the pub and both are on the south bank, next to the bridge.

Contact for the event is Steven Odgaard on 0400 798 404.

Next Queensland branch meeting:
The next club meeting will be held on Tuesday 19th June 2018 at 7:30pm.
It will be held in the Coopers Plains Library at 107 Orange Grove Road, Coopers Plains.
There is plenty of parking at the rear of the library building via Bosworth Street off Orange Grove Road.

UBD Reference - Map 200 D-13.

Anyone with an interest in air cushion vehicles is welcome to attend.
We discuss technical topics and plan cruises.

Regards
Steven Odgaard
QSH secretary




Growth and Fund-raising Committee:
Our last meeting included a lot of discussion and healthy debate about the need for club growth in order to achieve a higher public profile and more success with our negotiations with QPWS regarding Marine Park permits. After many e-mails and a few long phone discussions with James King, it was proposed that a new committee be established specifically to encourage growth and fund-raising. James, Elisha, and Karl Bowman have volunteered, and James submitted this letter for discussion:

Hello Gents,
Here's what I propose. I think we should register with the GCBF to apply to raise money for a portable office trailer with a new fancy club logo printed on the outside. I'm thinking of a tandem trailer that has potable water, tea and coffee making facilities, solar and battery, LED lighting, some seats and table and roll out annex that we can take to rallies, school fetes, and expos advertising and promoting our club and which also has a functional capacity as a 'club house on wheels'. That way we wouldn't need to lease land wherever we have an event. We could get some flag banners as well for advertising.

I'm not sure of the cost of a portable office but I think this should be our first major purchase if we are able to get funds. There are four rounds per year and we can apply for everyone. I would like to see a dedicated club rescue boat and club car in the future. This would be a good start and make us look like a bigger and more legitimate club. There is a lot of money out there being given away to clubs, we are financially small, haven't applied for grants and will be easier to get to events which benefit the community etc with a portable office. This should increase our chances of receiving funding over the next few rounds.

I read the priorities list and we are about number two (facility improvements) behind organisations receiving funding for declared natural disasters. Facility improvements include construction of demountable buildings, amenities blocks, playgrounds, sheds, lighting or storage facilities. We'd be in with a good chance. My thinking is that these trailers aren't cheap so I'd be requesting the maximum grant of $35,000 and getting one made for that price or finding a second hand one.

I'd be happy to be the first member of a 'sub-committee' and would like to do a webinar course ($97) to assist with this.
Indigogold.com.au
Cheers,
James

Members at the meeting agreed that the concept is good but had differing ideas about purchasing the suggested mobile clubhouse, vehicle, safety boat etc, or a club hovercraft.
Voting was divided as follows:
Mobile office: (2 for / 9 against) There were perceived problems with towing, storage, tow-vehicle, insurance, rego, etc. and suggested more value in purchasing a club ACV/vehicle/safety boat instead (7 for / 4 against).
Gambling fund applications: Voted yes (unanimous), but big discussion about "dual legal identity" (Vic Incorporated vs Qld unincorporated, ABN vs non ABN, etc).

James' committee is authorised to enquire and propose, and justify pros and cons, but not authorised to take action on behalf of the club until each action is approved at the following club meeting.
(Can James phone or Skype into our next meeting on 19/6/18?)
Discussed possibility of using the regional AHF (forum) club to apply for ABN instead of QSH.
Club growth via open days & demonstrations: Yes, unanimous.

James also supplied this information about the proposed fund-raising:
Not-for-profit groups operating in Queensland can apply for grants from $500 to $35,000 through the Gambling Community Benefit Fund (GCBF). This fund is Queensland's largest one-off grants program, distributing approximately $54 million per year. The fund allocates grants to not-for-profit community groups, to enhance their capacity to provide services, leisure activities and opportunities for Queensland communities. The Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR) Community Benefit Funds Unit (CBFU) administers the GCBF. We invite all eligible organisations to submit grant applications to the Gambling Community Benefit Fund through the GCBF online grants portal. Please watch the tutorial videos below before applying through the grants portal. There are four opportunities for grants each year. The next round closes 31st May 2018 so we need to get a move on to apply for this one. I believe we need to apply as a legal entity so will need Incorporation certificate, ABN and bank account details to register.

Eligibility:
Eligible organisations - All organisations must:

All legal entities must: Organisations must be one of the following: If the OLGR team cannot clearly identify if your organisation is eligible through public registers you may be asked to submit supporting documents such as: Are your requested items eligible? Eligible items
Organisations can apply for any item, except ineligible items. When applying, organisations should also consider the list of 'unlikely to be funded' items and the funding priorities.
Funding priorities
In each round applications are prioritised from 1 (being the highest) to 5 (being the lowest).
The Committee consider funding from all priorities however allocate funding to higher priorities first.
Funding priorities are:

Priority 1
Applications by organisations affected by a declared natural disaster in the last 2 years (see Definitions)

Priority 2
Applications for the purchase of equipment and/or facility improvements (see Definition and details below)

Priority 3
Applications for the purchase of buses, cars, caravans, boats, tractors, trailers, large mowers, motorbikes and similar items

Priority 4
Applications for community events, training, workshops, programs and festivals

Priority 5
Applications by organisations that have received a grant or grants from the GCBF of more than $15,000 in the past two years

Other determining factors:

Ineligible items
The following items are ineligible: Note: ineligible items cannot be incorporated in contracts or invoices. Unlikely to be funded items
Items unlikely to be funded include So we now have a Growth and Fund-raising Committee consisting of James and Elisha King, and Karl Bowman. Their e-mail addresses are: jamesandking@bigpond.com and hoverhaull@iinet.net.au
Please contact them directly when you have any suggestions or enquiries.

James has been very active with following up our legal options to get some justice with the current permit and insurance situation. He has now taken it beyond QPWS/NPSR/DES and QCAT to the Ombudsman's office.

James now has a copy of our e-mail Bcc list and will distribute relevant information directly to all club members as things evolve. Please ensure that your replies utilise the "Reply All" button in your e-mail program. That way, everyone can follow the thread.