31st January 2005
Queensland Sporting Hovercraft Club
A branch of the Australian Hovercraft Federation Inc (Vic)

Dear Air Cushion Vehicle enthusiast,
The Queensland branch held a planning meeting at the SAAA hall at Archerfield Aerodrome on Monday, 17th January 2005 which was attended by Des Goss, Phillip Audsley, Angus Kerr, Peter Venn, Arthur Stead and Steven Odgaard.

Cruise report - Riedel Road, Carbrook - Sunday 23rd January 2005.

Last Sunday Neville Bennett got up pretty early at Evan Head NSW and towed his Vortex to Queensland. He was joined by Des Goss with a Turbo 225 and Steven Odgaard with a Bill Baker 2 at 9:45am at Riedel Road, Carbrook.
With thanks to Edi Brandli who had conducted a reconnaissance visit to Reidel Road on Saturday 22nd January during low tide, we were able to plan on a more convenient launching site. The boat ramp at Riedel Road was nice at high tide, but at low tide a steep muddy embankment would have caused considerable difficulty and delay in retrieving the craft.
We took Ediís advice, left Reidel Road at 10:05am and regrouped our vehicles 1 kilometre further upstream at the Ferry Road boat ramp. This had a charge of $3.50 but we were comfortable with the security arrangements so this was a small price to pay for peace of mind. Unfortunately Geoff Langford who drove down to see us launch, had just missed us. He checked Skinners Road and then went home.
The three craft set off at about 11-45am and headed downstream to the delta.
A small grassy island in the middle of the delta made a comfortable stopping point for a light lunch break and with all craft performing well we decided to carry on further to the bay.
A Boating and Fisheries patrol asked us to stop briefly to check our registration labels. With all in order we set off to the bay.
There was a strong hot northerly wind whipping up an uncomfortable chop in the bay and at this point Stevenís lift engine lost power and conked out.
With a change of spark plug the engine was restarted and we ventured home.
I suspect that an overheated capacitor was the reason for a weak ignition spark.
Neville had a good run back but lost an exhaust joint spring as he performed a doughnut just before arriving back at Carbrook. Desí Turbo suffered no breakdowns at all, but he struggled into the strong wind encountered along various river reaches.

Next Queensland branch meeting:
7:30 pm - Monday, 21st February 2005.
SAAA hall at Archerfield Aerodrome.
Beatty Road Qld 4108.

Colin Dainty - AHF treasurer, has reported that no decision has yet been made on the National Rally, however the next meeting of the Victorian branch will be at Boxhill Community Hall on 9th February.

Steven Odgaard
QSH secretary